GMOSSE - The Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

GMOSSE - The Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine

Postby BPzeBanshee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:54 am

Greetings shmup-dev.com members!

If you're active at Shmups Forum you may have seen this in Development for some time. As the thread title implies, it's the Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine, or G.M.O.S.S.E (or without the dots if you wish) for short.

The idea is basically this:

Maybe you're a newcomer to Game Maker and not sure where to start. Or maybe you're not-so-new. Maybe you know how to code already but not sure what to do for making the 'ideal shmup'. Maybe you've got a shmup going but don't want to break it with some experimental idea or you're having a problem with that one small piece of functionality you want. Maybe you just want to play something sweet, or you're a developer and want an example of how a shmup is made.

In that case, GMOSSE (ideally) is the game to check out!
It serves as a game template, so it serves first and foremost to have lots of functionality for other Game Maker developers to examine and get ideas, conventions and code concepts from. It follows the key goals of having a low performance cost (nothing new gets put into this without getting tested on a Pentium III 1GHz legacy PC for full speed), good and friendly code, and showing how a shmup should behave and what it should support in terms of functionality.

MK-VII includes many radical changes including:
- perfect distortionless screen rotation (TATE)
- externalised highscores
- sound handling script system that supports multiple sound DLLs at once (coming soon)
- joystick/gamepad support and rebinding of joystick/gamepad/keyboard controls
and more!

I realise this boasts quite a lot. With the above being said it is still very much a work in progress, and contributors are more than welcome to contribute or criticise various components (some of the code could be a bit more friendlier and a lot of work has gone towards improving this for MK-VII). This entire project started from being a simple bullet script example that I put together from scripts made by several fellow forum members, and has expanded to cover the 'Full Extent of the Jam' so to speak.

Screenshots unavailable due to internet issues.

Brief video of MK-VII here:

Download it HERE (updated 1/01/2013, MK-VII R2)

Current issues and other details are in the package's readme, otherwise feel free to comment or ask me anything.
Last edited by BPzeBanshee on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Greetings from the land down under! :D

Site Admin

Re: GMOSSE - The Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine

Postby monoRAIL » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Great to see open source tools. This should be really useful for any beginners who want to get into shmup development. Thanks for sharing!

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:12 pm

I've posted a news story about this and the other shmup frameworks on the front page.

Postby hhk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Still don't understand how it works, so since its supposed to be aimed at beginners I'm wondering if I'm not missing something. Big.

Postby BPzeBanshee » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 am

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. For some reason this site isn't sending me emails of replies even though I set it to do so.

It's a Game Maker project so you'll still need Game Maker, and a fair idea of GML as this does make use of most of GM's advanced functions (except particles/3D/Surfaces/anything visual that drags framerate down). If you're looking for something specific I can refer you to the right section of the project though.

If you got any advice for making it more friendly to look at I'm all ears. Later down the track I do plan to create a tutorial of some sort that covers the various components of GMOSSE, but time constraints are a bit of an issue for me right now as Year 12 consumes a fair bit of my time.

Postby hhk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:29 am

Well as a complete beginner I'll try to get used to Game Maker a bit before starting to use this, but any help would be appreciated. Wouldn't having a tutorial section on this forum be a good idea too ? Like something referencing links aimed at beginners ?

Postby BPzeBanshee » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 am

That would be indeed a good idea. If I get time within the next few days I may see what I can scrounge up as even on Shmups Forum it's a little bit all over the place (I started with GML in earnest there).

For complete beginners you'll probably want to start off with what's available on Yoyogame's website. They have several good tutorials including a 1945 remake which helped me out to begin with (which while I admit is a terrible game in itself it will teach you some good habits and get you used to the concept of self-made variables, healthbars and other such things).

Postby BPzeBanshee » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:21 am

Not dead!

I recently made a post on Shmups Forums covering this already but some small progress has been made since then.

I had planned to make GMOSSE support multiple sound engines and do some radical changes to various parts of the engine. I still have radical changes planned but with a different purpose: it must be easier for the end-user (the guy who looks at the GMK to make a shmup) to understand. Having custom sound scripts with different external DLL-specific stuff is just going to make things more confusing. Merging bullet types into one and having different conditional statements is going to make things more confusing, and having obj_soundcontrol in its current form despite improvements is still confusing.

I'm probably going to release MK-VII without a complete Stage 2 because at this rate it's getting way too long for my liking since last release and there's been so many changes that it feels very different compared to MK-VI.

Sounds and music are now technically separated from eachother. I'm trialling loading all generic sounds (enemy shots, explosions, etc) using GM's default sound engin, at once, at the beginning of the game so no complicated loading/unloading happens that the developer needs to keep too much track of. It already sounds worse than it did before but hopefully not by too much - explosion sounds have been completely redone since MK-VI anyway so they're going to be different regardless.

The other thing is the Invader ship is eventually going to get replaced. I'm open to suggestions but at this point the Warbird ship is probably going to get a weapon revamp and put in as a replacement. It's getting a replacement because it was originally in as more of a joke ship and no matter what changes I make it just doesn't play well.

Postby BPzeBanshee » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:21 am

Progress update!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvAgb7MpkWI

I see I haven't updated this thread in a while. There has been a lot of changes, including a lot of work on Stage 2, conversion of sound effects to using GM's internal sound engine instead of GMFMODSimple, attempts to fix up input replays (unfortunately with no success), and lots of backend changes, simplification of existing functions and of course, added functionality.

Hopefully MK-VII gets an official release within the next month. The video's description has more on what new changes have been showcased.

Postby BPzeBanshee » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:45 pm

MK-VII is finally out, exactly 1 year after MK-VI was released.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?1tqregadvau2esh
Video of a new surprise here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb1P1EHo6B8

The changelog is damn huge and the internet is really failing hard on me, it was a pain to upload the video despite being 7 MB in size and even harder for GMOSSE itself (smaller than ever might I add despite the addition of several sprites and music) which weights at approx 13 MB.

Some pointers from off the top of my head though:
- Rebindable controls for keyboard AND joystick/gamepad
- Perfect distortionless TATE
- Changeable Window Size
- Filtering option (best used when Window Size makes the text look bad, GM limitation)
- Stage 2 created, playable from start to finish with midboss and boss
- Warbird R2 replaces the Invader
- Arxyne replaces Arxtyan
- New bullet sprites
- A fix for people who find that GM games crash when using background_create_from_screen
- Massive internal revamp in an attempt to make things easier for people to develop for
- Sound effects use GM Sound Engine, Music uses GMFMODSimple and both use separate controllers
- Explosion flicker based on trap15's suggestion
- New 'Elitist' HUD style which I must say has grown on me a fair bit
- Main Menu improvements
- BOSS RUSH MODE
- Customisable music support (with music info displayed in-game)
- Continues
- A surprise (see above video)
- Various bugfixes and tweaks

I hope that this makes not only the gameplay better in some aspects but makes things easier for people who have been wanting to learn how the hell GMOSSE is meant to work. A frequent complaint I got was that GMOSSE had become too difficult to actually look at internally, so a lot of effort has been made to reorganise things and bring more object stuff into scripts.

Sorry about the lack of videos/forum content updating/etc: the internet's grinding to a halt and I'm having a hard time just getting on fucking Google let alone this forum.

Next

Return to Showcase